Skip navigation

Carbon Monoxide Safety

Give us a call today: 970-GET-COOL 970-484-4552

Keeping you comfortable and safe is a priority. If you have a gas-powered heater or water heater in your home, you need to make sure you are protected in case of a carbon monoxide leak. Our team is here to help keep your home safe.

  • We are family-owned and operated
  • Serving Fort Collins, CO since 1934
  • We provide 24/7 services

Read on to discover some vital carbon monoxide safety tips to remember this heating season. And as always have our contact information on hand to assist with any heating system problems you may have.

Big enough to serve, small enough to care. Contact Fort Collins Heating & Air Conditioning for service today.

What you should know to protect your family from Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is dangerous!

CO poisoning from the use of fuel burning appliances kills at least 200 people each year and sends more than 5,000 to hospital emergency rooms for treatment.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless and colorless gas which can be created whenever a fuel such as wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, kerosene, etc. is burned.

How does Carbon Monoxide harm you?

Quite simply, carbon monoxide prevents oxygen from being used by your body. Carbon monoxide is poisonous and can harm your central nervous system.

Who is at risk?

Everyone is at risk of CO poisoning, however, individuals with existing health problems such as heart and lung disease, are especially vulnerable, as are the elderly, infants, children and pregnant women.

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning mimics many common illnesses, such as the flu and food poisoning.

Common symptoms include:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Rapid Heartbeat
  • Disorientation
  • Loss of Consciousness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Blurred Vision & Loss of Hearing
  • Cardiac Arrest
  • Respiratory Failure
  • Coma
  • Seizures

What can I do to protect myself and my family?

Have your furnace and other fuel burning appliances cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional before each heating season. Use non–electrical space heaters only in well ventilated areas.

Don’t start or leave running vehicles in an enclosed area. Back vehicles out of the garage to warm up!

Every home should have at least one CO detector that meets or exceeds UL 2034 standards.

Don’t wait until symptoms occur! BE SAFE!

What to do if you suspect Carbon Monoxide is present in your home

Call... If your detector alarm sounds and you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, leave your home immediately and call 911. Check... If your alarm sounds and you have no symptoms, first check the detector and push the reset button. Get fresh air to the building and check for sources of CO. Turn off any appliances or other sources of combustion. Contact a qualified service or repair company who can test with proper test instruments. Always... if you think you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and you do not have a detector, leave your home, and call 911 immediately!


Do We Serve Your Neighborhood?

View All Towns